2011 marks the centenary of International Women's Day. The Library celebrates the occasion with a free event, Striking a Light, on Saturday 5 March.
March's Object of the Month is a drawing sent by 'Isobel aged Twelve yrs 9 months' to express solidarity with the Lancashire Women Against Pit Closures Campaign in 1993.
This item comes from the 14 boxes of material donated to the Library by the women campaigners. The boxes contain:
- Correspondence including letters of support and letters sending donations
- Minutes and accounts
- Media including publicity materials
- Literature relating to Parkside Pit Camp
- Petitions, address lists and visitors' book
- Papers relating to fundraising
- Poetry and songs.
The Library also holds a large and beautiful campaign banner.
All the material is available to be viewed in the Library.
Other resources on our website
Click here to go to the Lancashire Women Against Pit Closures page