A brief history
1882 - the Associated Society of Shipwrights was formed from 18 local shipwrights' societies. It later changed its name to the Associated Shipwrights' Society. Between 1882 and 1908 more independent societies joined.
1908 - it changed name to the Shipconstructive and Shipwrights' Association after several major amalgamations including the Amalgamated Society of Drillers and Cutters in 1910.
1913 - the name was changed again to the Ship Constructors' and Shipwrights' Association.
1963 - it became part of the Amalgamated Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipbuilders and Structural Workers, which itself amalgamated to become GMB in 1982.
Click here for a more detailed history of the Ship Constructors' and Shipwrights' Association.
For information on shipwrights' working lives and records for family history, click here
Shipwrights' unions archives in our collection
Ship Constructors' and Shipwrights' Association (TU/SHIP)
- Annual reports, 1882-1963 (not complete)
- Reports and papers, 1889-1917
- Executive Committee and committee minute books, 1909-1966 (not complete)
- Annual delegate meeting minutes, 1876-1912
- Rules books, 1882-1952
- Special statements of members 1908-1913, agreements and other papers including correspondence, price lists and handbooks
- Branch records including Belfast, Bristol, Clyde, Fleetwood, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Tyne and Wear and Yarrow.
Sources about shipwrights' unions in the library
David Dougan, The Shipwrights, Frank Graham (Newcastle) 1975
Other records are held at the Modern Records Centre, University of Warwick:
Ship Constructors' and Shipwrights' Association (GB 0152 MSS.192/AS)